How do I create a blog, blogs, bulletin board or chat room? What is the Blog page and how do I use it?
The Blog page type allows you to create a blog or multiple blogs for your classroom. You can also use the page to create similar applications such as a chatroom, bulletin/message board, or guestbook.
To add a Blog page, go to your Update Index and click the Add New Pages button near the bottom of the screen.
Once you've added a Blog page, go to the page and click the Last Modified date link to access the update area. You will be prompted to enter your password to log in.
After logging in, you will see an "Add Entry (New Topic)" button on the right side of the page. Click the button to post a new entry.
When you have finished entering text, click "Save Post" to post the entry to your blog page. If you would like visitors to be able to post comments, leave the "Enable Comments" box checked.
Visitors to the site will now be able to view your blog post, and add their own comments (if you have enabled this option). All Comments must be approved by you before they will display. (You will be notified by email whenever comments are added and are ready for approval.)
When you are logged in, you will be able to approve comments individually, or click a link to immediately approve all unapproved comments for that entry.
All Entries you post will remain available on the Blog page until you remove them. Old entries can be accessed from the Archives link on the right side of the page.
As the administrator of the site, you have full control over what content is posted to the Blog page. When you are logged in, you can add, edit, or delete Entries, approve or delete Comments (or add your own comments), and more.
The Blog page can be used for a variety of purposes, including:
- Post a topic for discussion, and encourage students to discuss by posting Comments.
- Post an ongoing classroom diary or log (with or without comments), allowing visitors to browse through archives of old posts organized by month.
- Create a guestbook: post an entry reading "Sign my Guestbook" and allow visitors to add comments to sign the guestbook.
- Create an real-time online interactive sign-up sheet for activities. (For example, parents or students could post what foods they're bringing to a class party.)
- Create a general class chat room for students.
- ...and much more. The Blog page is a versatile tool that can be used in a variety of ways. Your imagination is the limit!